Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hmmm

Thoughts for the day: We couldn't find the phrase, "Sorry, I don't speak Czech" in Cat's English-Czech dictionary.  I feel like this should be a necessary addition to any phrase book.  

 

We have daily Czech lessons from Tomas (our liaison while we are here) which is really cool.  So I can ask questions like, "Which way to the train station?"  or "How much does this cost?" which would be helpful if I could understand the reply.  Czech is pretty difficult.  But we all seem to manage.  Generally, we are not regarded very well in public.  I guess being Americans and traveling in packs doesn't make us easily liked.  I befriended some Belgium girls in Amsterdam and as soon as they discovered I didn't vote for George W. Bush they gave me a hug and said, "Oh!  We like you in that case..."  So, as expected, we all suffer for the actions of a few. 

 

But besides that... I've had a few favorable encounters with some Czech people.  I gave up my seat on the tram to an elderly woman and she gave me a very sweet and genuine smile when she exited at the next stop.   I shouldn't speak for the group, but I know that most of us really want to make a good impression on these people.  

 

Oh, and a small group of us traveled outside of Prague today to the Kutna Hora to see the Bone Church.  I'll get some pictures up soon.  

No comments: