Sunday, June 22, 2008

Photos--

I ALSO POSTED MORE BERLIN PHOTOS A FEW BLOGS BACK.  GO LOOK.

Finally!  I'm posting pictures from our visit to Kutna Hora last week.  It was such a picturesque little town.. about 60 km outside of Prague.  Just look at that view... It was a little bit like a ghost town, however.  It used to be a silver mining town during the 1300's.  Now it's just a little bit depressing.  We did, however, stumble across some adorable little shops where townspeople sold crafts.  I talked myself out of buying many things, including some handmade pottery, a knitted scarf, or a handcrafted kaleidoscope.  Anyway, on to the photos!





Ok.  So.  The 'Bone Church' or the Sedlec Ossuary is this little chapel in Kutna Hora.  During the Black Plague and the Hussite Wars of the 14th and 15th centuries, something like 40,000 bodies were buried here.  Eventually, I guess around the late 1800's, they hired a carpenter to put the bones in order.  Basically, he used them to create some pretty incredible (grotesque?) interior architecture.  Supposedly the chandelier that hangs in the middle of the cathedral includes at least one of every bone in the human body.













Me and the others (I think 7 of us spent the day here) caught a train back to Prague and grabbed dinner together before heading back to the dorms.  All in all, it was a very pleasant day!  

We're back from Vienna, now, too.  I'll post about that tomorrow.  

The highlight of my day today was finally doing laundry.  It's only been, you know, three weeks.  There are no dryers here, so all of mine and Yoshi's clothes are in the middle of our room on a huge drying rack.  I'm going to wear a dress tomorrow because that's all I really have to wear.  To do laundry here at the dorms, you have to jump through a whole series of hoops--the hardest of which is attempting to communicate with the non-English speaking building attendants.  In about 16 hours (fingers crossed) my clothes will be dry.  And nice and crisp, too, I'm sure!   

No comments: