Sunday, June 8, 2008

Photo time!


[EDITED]

The smallest house in Amsterdam!  They used to be charged for the width of the house.  See #7.  It was originally a servant's quarters:

Our valiant canal boat captain navigates us through a tunnel:




Made it back to Prague!  Here are a few photos from our first day(s) in Amsterdam.. as I mentioned before, bikes definitely dominate this city.







Just took one of the most amazing showers of my life.  We were walking around Amsterdam for three days without access to normal amenities.  Yeah.  Ew.  But, i'm back, and safe, and clean in my dorm room with Yoshi.  

It's close to 1 AM, and I have class in the morning, so I probably won't be able to report on everything that happened.  Amsterdam is one crazy place.  It is half culture, half sleaze.  Highlights of the trip were definitely the Van Gogh museum and the Rijksmuseum up the street.  The Rijksmuseum displays works from important Dutch artists.  I actually got to see "Night Watch" by Rembrandt in person.  It fills an entire wall.  The Van Gogh museum houses about 200 Van Gogh paintings and prints, as well as works by his contemporaries.  Wow.  



Today at noon we took this amazing canal tour.  Most of these tours are really touristy and pretty pricey, but we got a tip from our professor to catch a donation-only canal tour from a restaurant called Boom Chicago.  We packed lunch and hopped on the tour boat (an early 1900's canal boat named "Athena") with a few other people.  I learned quite a bit about the city and it was awesome to see it from that vantage point.  



1 comment:

mberg said...

I went to both of the museums that you mentioned when I was in Amsterdam. I also almost was hit by a bike by standing in the bike lane. Your blog brings back memories.